degree (noun) LISTEN
A degree is an academic title given when you complete your studies.
- Whitney has a medical degree from a top university.
- Arnie has a Bachelor's degree in engineering and a Master's degree in business administration.
A degree is also a 360th part of the circumference of a circle.
- The geometry student drew a 45 degree angle on the whiteboard.
- A right angle is equal to 90 degrees.
A degree is also a unit of measure of temperature.
- The temperature at the resort town rarely falls below 15 degrees Celsius, even in the winter.
Degree is also the classification of a crime. First degree is the most severe.
- The defendant is charged with murder in the first degree.
to a degree: extent of an action. Example: “I agree with your argument to a degree, but you failed to consider one important point.”
Did you know?
The two most popular units of temperature are Fahrenheit (F) and Celsius (C). Fahrenheit is used in the US and a few other countries; Celsius is used in the rest of the world. The temperature at which water freezes is 0 degrees C and 32 degrees F. The temperature at which water boils is 100 degrees C and 212 degrees F.
In pop culture
This song is about someone who didn’t think he would ever fall in love. It compares a crime like murder in the first degree to love, but in a good way. Listen to Alabama sing, “Love in the First Degree.”