source (noun) LISTEN
A source is a thing or place from which something comes.
- The source of the restaurant's vegetables is a nearby farm.
- Eileen's childhood is the source of her happiness.
- Authorities found that the source of the food poisoning was a local butcher.
Or the origin of a river.
- The hikers climbed up to the source of the river.
A source can also be a person or document that provides information.
- The journalist would not reveal the source of her information.
- The student listed the sources for his research paper in the bibliography.
source code: fundamental computer code written by a programmer, usually in plain text. Example: “The programmer had to study the source code before she could resolve the problems with the software.”
open source: source code that is publicly available for others to use, share or enhance. “The developers used open source software as a basis for their new app.”
In pop culture
Listen to Van Halen’s song “Source of Infection.” Listen for the lyric “Love, love is source of infection.” Do you agree?