foreign (adjective) LISTEN
Foreign means ‘coming from another country.’
- The foreign exchange students were not familiar with local customs.
- Mark likes to drive foreign cars.
Foreign also means ‘relating to contact with other countries.’
- Foreign trade deficit was the topic of the economics conference.
- Learning a foreign language is good for your brain.
- Maria has a foreign accent.
Foreign can also mean ‘not belonging to the place where something is found.’
- There is a foreign object in my eye.
foreigner: a person from a foreign country. Example: “When I lived in Paris, I understood how foreigners must feel in my country.”
In pop culture
Here is a montage of films that were competing for the Best Foreign Language Film award in the 2018 US Academy Awards. A Fantastic Woman won.