affair (noun) LISTEN
An affair can be a business matter that requires action.
- I need to resolve this affair with my lawyer.
- My husband never discusses business affairs with me.
A personal matter is also an affair.
- This is an affair between you and me.
- This is not your affair.
A big party or event is also an affair.
- Barbara wore her ball gown to the affair.
If you have an affair, it means that you have a sexual relationship with someone, especially if one of you is married to someone else.
- I'm getting divorced. My wife had an affair with my best friend.
Current affairs are events in the news. For example: “I read the newspaper so I will know about current affairs.”
In pop culture
The song “Family Affair” by Sly and the Family Stone was a hit in 1971. Which of the above meanings of affair applies to this song?
There are other meanings of affair.