harsh (adjective) LISTEN
Harsh means ‘unpleasant and severe.’
- The captives received harsh treatment.
- When Justin moved out of his parents' house, he discovered the harsh reality of living on his own.
- When the teacher used harsh words, the child cried.
Harsh also means ‘uncomfortable or irritating to the senses.’
- Alice got a rash when she used that harsh detergent to wash her clothes.
- Wool is too harsh a fabric for a baby's sensitive skin.
In pop culture
Harsh Times is a movie about an unstable war veteran in Los Angeles who gets a job with the Department of Homeland Security. What could go wrong? Watch the trailer.
There are other meanings of harsh.