tool (noun) LISTEN
A tool is an instrument, usually held in the hand, for performing a mechanical operation.
- A hammer is a tool for driving nails into wood.
- A saw is a tool that a carpenter uses to cut wood.
- A plumber uses tools to repair pipes.
A tool is also anything used to accomplish a task.
- Phonics is a tool for learning how to read.
- Education is a tool for success.
tools of the trade: tools needed for a certain job or profession. Example: “An artist’s tools of the trade are paint, brushes and a lively imagination.”
Did you know?
It’s an insult to call someone a tool. A tool is so stupid that they don’t know that someone is using them. Example: “You’re a tool if you think that guy loves you for your mind.”
toolbox: a container that holds tools.
In pop culture
Listen to the rock band Tool sing their song “Sober.”
There are other meanings of tool.