jaw (noun) LISTEN
Jaws are the two bones that hold the teeth.
- The dentist gave Ron a shot in his upper jaw.
- The huge dinosaur jaws sat in a glass case.
A jaw is also the part of the face that covers these bones.
- The fighter punched his opponent in the lower jaw.
- The yoga teacher told us to relax our jaws.
A jaw can also be something that resembles a jaw used to grasp or hold.
- Put the jaws of the pliers around the jar lid and twist.
jaw-dropping: amazing. Example: “The jaw-dropping beauty of the rainbow was awesome.”
jaws of life: a hydraulic machine used to free people from a crash. Example: “The firefighters used the jaws of life to free Terry from the crashed car.”
In pop culture
If you’ve seen the movie Jaws about a shark attack, you may think about it every time you go swimming in the ocean. Watch the trailer if you dare.