season (noun, verb) past tense: seasoned LISTEN
Seasons are the four main periods of the year.
- During the winter season, many people like to ski.
- Spring is the season of rebirth.
A season is also a time when certain conditions or activities take place.
- Basketball season and hockey season are at the same time.
- The planting season starts after the last frost.
- It's difficult to find a hotel during the tourist season.
Season also means ‘to flavor food with salt, pepper, spices and herbs.’
- If you season the steak a half hour before you grill it, it is more flavorful.
in season: in the proper time or state for use. Example: “When apples are in season, we make cider.”
out of season: not in season. Example: “Stores now stock berries even when the are out of season here.”
In pop culture
Happiest season is a 2020 about a woman who struggles to come out to her conservative parents during Christmas season. Have you seen it?