goal (noun) LISTEN
A goal is the achievement toward which effort is directed.
- Howard's goal was to visit all 50 of the United States.
- It's easy to achieve your goal if you remember why it's important to you.
- Frieda's boss set a sales goal for each account executive.
A goal is also an area in which players of various games propel a ball or a puck to score points.
- The goal was unprotected.
A goal is also a point scored by propelling the ball into the goal.
- The right winger scored a goal.
Did you know?
Although the goal in most team sports is to score the highest number of points, each sport has different names for points received. Here are some examples: Soccer/football: goal; hockey: goal; baseball: run; basketball: 1 – 3 points by making a basket; American football: 1 – 6 points by making a touchdown, field goal, extra point or safety; rugby union: 2 – 5 points by making a try, conversion kick, penalty kick or drop goal.
goalkeeper: a defensive player (in hockey, soccer/football, etc.) who is responsible for preventing the ball or puck from scoring a goal. Example: “The puck hit the goalkeeper’s mask.”
In pop culture
Are you a fan of soccer/football? Then you’ll enjoy watching the top 10 goals from the 2018 World Cup.