even (adjective, adverb) LISTEN
If something is even, it means that it is flat or smooth.
- Even roads are better for rollerblading.
An even number is a number that ends in 0, 2, 4, 6 or 8.
- We need an even number of people for this dance.
We can use even when we want to say that something is unusual or surprising.
- Everyone ate all their vegetables, even the children!
- He didn’t even say goodbye when he left.
Or we can also use it when we talk about the difference between two things. For example, if your new car is cool, and your old car was cool too, but the new car is cooler than the old car, we can say that it is even cooler.
- The festival is going to be even bigger than last year.
In pop culture
Furniture from a box isn’t always very easy to build. But this company thinks that its furniture is so easy to build that even a child can do it! Do you think it looks easy?
There are other meanings of even.
Word of the Day is released Monday through Friday.