meal (noun) LISTEN
A meal is food served and eaten at one time.
- It's important to have at least one family meal every day.
- If you are hungry between meals, you should eat a healthy snack.
- The volunteers served the homeless people a hot meal.
Meal is also a coarse powder ground from nuts or the seeds of a grain.
- The fried chicken was coated with corn meal.
- Try using almond meal in place of some of the flour in your favorite muffin recipe.
mealy: having qualities of meal; powdery. When fruit tastes mealy, it is very bland.
piecemeal: one piece at a time. Example: “It’s quicker to do the job all at once, but Jeff insists on doing it piecemeal.”
In pop culture
Watch this video of Conan O’Brien, an American talk-show host, enjoying a traditional Korean meal with his friend Steven Yeun.
There are other meanings of meal.
Word of the Day is released Monday through Friday.