equal (adjective, noun) LISTEN
Equal means ‘the same in quantity, degree or value.’
- The red dress and the blue dress of are equal value, but I prefer the blue one.
- Both job applicants have equal experience, but I like Jeremy better.
Equal also means ‘to be equal.’
- Twelve inches equal one foot.
- The marathon runner tried to equal her time from last year's race.
Equal is also someone or something of an equivalent value.
- Although Sally was promoted to manager, she still considered her co-workers as equals.
- The apple pie at the diner has no equal.
Did you know?
Today is International Women’s Day, a global day celebrating the social, economic, cultural and political achievements of women. This day also marks a call to action for accelerating gender equality.
In pop culture
Watch Emma Watson speak to the United Nations about gender equality: