path (noun) LISTEN
A path is a narrow or thin walk or route.
- The path to the top of the mountain was steep and difficult to climb.
- The wolves followed a path through the forest.
- The bicycle path stretches along the lakeside.
- There is a running path in the park.
A path is also the route on which something moves.
- The path of the tornado seemed random.
cross paths: to meet by chance. Example: “Tom and Erin never went on a date, but they crossed paths often at business meetings.”
off the beaten path: not well known. Example: “The travel guide lists many tourist sites that are off the beaten path.”
In pop culture
A path can also be the long-term plan for the direction of your life. Watch the trailer for Star Wars 8 — “Choose Your Path.”
There are other meanings of path.
Word of the Day is released Monday through Friday.