rubber (noun, adjective) LISTEN
Rubber is an elastic solid that is made from the milky juice of rubber trees.
- Car tires are made of rubber.
- There is a rubber bath mat in the shower to prevent falls.
Rubber is also specific items made of rubber.
- Tom's grandfather wears rubbers over his shoes in rainy weather.
- The student used a rubber to erase a misspelled word.
As an adjective, rubber means ‘made of, or containing rubber.’
- Rachel ties her hair with a rubber band.
- Mike wears rubber flip-flops at the beach.
Did you know?
Rubber is a slang term for a condom, a birth control device placed over a penis.
A rubber match is a deciding contest when a series of games or matches is tied.
rubberneck: to look with curiosity, often twisting the neck. Example: “The drivers rubbernecked when they passed the accident on the highway.”
In pop culture
Listen to “Norwegian Wood,” a classic song from the Beatles’ album Rubber Soul.
Word of the Day is released Monday through Friday.